Monday, October 6, 2014

10-6-2014

Well it has been a month since i last blogged -woohoo...  September has been a busy & emotional & big girl panties type of month. I am exhausted.  I have been working diligently to get Dalton started with school in the fall.  He is able to be tested to see if he can go to early childhood/special needs preschool.  One main eligibility factor is an autism dx.  Usually you can automatically get in your school district with that dx alone.  But my son also has a fairly severe speech delay.  He is about a year behind in what he should be saying/responding.  We are working very diligently on his speech with a great local private therapist (so glad we made the switch out of birth to 3).  And he does have some concerning sensory/OT needs that are being worked on as well, but would get more daily help through a school setting.  So that has been fun & promising & stressful, but I am looking forward to the evals & learning how school can help him.  Only downner with school is he will be in a school a few miles away instead of one that is like 5 minutes from our house, but it will work out in the end I hope.

I have also been getting really emotional about the lack of communication and different stories I have been told by the state about Dalton's waiver list placement.  Our social worker who was my contact with the county was not great.  She never initiated conversations about if she knew anything about how our file was progressing. Never gave encouragement & explanation of why our file took sooo long to be approved.  I realize they are busy as all social workers are - I mean come on I was a foster parent - I get that social workers are very busy & overloaded individuals.  I gave them the expected 2-3 month window before I contacted them regarding an update & once a month there after.  I hadn't heard anything from her around late july & sought out info about county director of program contact info.  I them got a prompt reply from both my contact & cty director in mid august....  Saying we were on the list & our # on the list.  All right I thought - great!  Well then I waited about six weeks to see if I was going to get any paperwork or at least a confirmation letter. I figured, again maybe she is busy. Maybe she didn't print it right away /didn't get around to it right away/maybe it got lost in the mail.  But the truth is it was never sent.  A week ago I sent an email to my contact casually saying hey haven't gotten any paperwork confirming we are indeed on list & it was returned undeliverable....AAGGGHH!  Seriously was ticked.  Went back to supervisor guy & sure enough she no longer was an employee of my county...sigh...  So county supervisor/director attempted to answer my question with a VERY long explanation of how the waiver process works...  Responded back, that I hadn't received the very first paper he mentioned.  I sent it on thursday. Today I had my special needs moms bible study pray about this.... and I got an email late in the afternoon with exactly what I need, tomorrow I call the therapy provider.  Also in communication with supervisor guy that no, we weren't approved for the list in august like we thought, nope it was may.  Which is good & kinda sucky... It still means it took us about 5 months to be put on the list instead of the average 2-3.

So yeah that has all been happening, while still doing the normal therapy stuff & mom stuff.  On a fun note - found a chew toy for Dalton! Yeah!  (He is an oral sensory seeker, not hard core but more than your average kid)  Found them at target of all places!  So if you know me in real life, you will see Dalton sporting some girly bracelets!

I have just also been deep in thought lately about alot of thngs, my kids birth families, how am I going to raise a strong black man in this current state of police killing of black men. How am I going to teach my children to love everyone while also teaching Greysen to watch your back & be careful in public.  Some days my mind just goes on & on.  Some days all the different sides of what makes my children beautiful also makes me sad.   It has been a rough week & I am ready to take a rest & break from it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment